2014/09/14

The Ultimate Blackhead Fighter: Enzyme Washing Powders









Balm cleansers, cleansing gels, cleansing milks, facial bar soaps... we've really seen it all when it comes to different textures of cleansers. Still, the idea of a washing powder seemed very strange to me, mainly because it reminded me a bit too much of laundry detergent. I first picked up the PIU White Washing Powder as a more gentle exfoliating alternative to acids/chemical exfoliation, which I mentioned in my post "Are You Over Exfoliating?" was much too harsh for me and really damaged my skin. Like all the other washing powder options I will be mentioning today, PIU contains fruit enzymes (specifically papain from papayas, which seems to be the most popular choice), but it foams up (sort of, I'll explain in a bit) like a regular face wash, so you can gently exfoliate the skin while washing your face as normal. It really is a great way to exfoliate and my skin is always super smooth and soft afterwards, but the best thing about washing powders is that they got rid of my blackheads.

Blackheads are a problem that I've struggled with for such a long time. One of the first things I learned when
I started getting into skincare products is to fight blackheads with salicylic acid, and I was slathering on a salicylic acid gel from Neutrogena every night from the age of 14 all the way up until 17. Now that I look back on it, I really don't know why I kept up the habit for so long considering it did absolutely nothing. Nowadays, for the most part I have combination-normal skin and really don't suffer from blackheads as much as during my earlier teenage years. But during the summer, my skin turns combination-oily and hello strawberry nose. The skin on my nose starts to feel all bumpy, like you can feel that all the pores are clogged up. Ew. Mud masks helped, but the effect was only temporary. Seeing as I've never gotten any success with blackhead products in the past, I sort of just gave up and tried to ignore the problem.

When I started using the PIU Washing Powder as my night time cleanser, I started noticing that after washing my face, I would see little white dots floating out of the pores on my nose, like the trapped sebum had been washed out of the pore. After a few days, the skin on my nose didn't feel as bumpy any more, and after a week or so, I didn't see any more blackheads! The PIU Washing Powder makes for a really deep cleanse, yet it is gentle enough to use everyday. My skin was feeling a lot less congested, and more importantly, no more strawberry nose.


I'm demonstrating here using another great washing powder option, the Orbis Oil Cut Powder Wash. I'm not sure why it's called "oil cut" since it doesn't mattify the face or anything. I guess they're referring to the fact that you get rid of all that excess sebum that clogs pores. The Orbis option should only be used 1-3 times a week depending on how sensitive your skin is. However, for those who suffer from blackheads in the T-zone, I think you can use the powder wash more often just on that area.

1. As you see, the product comes in a solid powder form. The Orbis option comes in circular granules, while PIU is a powder that looks a lot like laundry detergent (but I promise it's not laundry detergent).

2. The enzymes are activated upon contact with water. Try to use water that's luke warm so you don't denature the enzymes (ie. cause them to stop working). By adding water and rubbing your palms together, you can get this sort of light, sudsy foam, which is completely fine for washing your face.

3. For those like me who prefer more of a dense, creamy foam, rub a foaming net between your palms.

4. You'll be left with a really dense foam that helps to reduce friction from your fingers when washing your face to reduce irritation, and just feels that bit more luxurious.

I like to pair my washing powders with my Clarisonic Mia, because the Clarisonic seems to be able to wash off the gunk that floats out of my pores. I've been love love loving the new Luxe Cashmere Cleanse brush head as it's just about the softest thing ever, but more on that in another post. You can also gently (and I mean GENTLY) go over the skin with one of those loop extractors to clean out the pores.

Personally I find the Orbis and PIU options to be pretty similar apart from the fact that PIU can be used everyday, while Orbis can only be used 1-3 times a week. However, PIU has a really bizarre scent that I can't quite describe but I certainly don't find pleasant, while the Orbis doesn't have any scent. It really is a matter of personal preference.






Another option that looks oh so luxe is the TATCHA Rice Enzyme Powder. Just look at that gorgeous packaging ugh. Of course, gorgeous packaging seems to be always come with a price, so the price is definitely more high end, but I've seen great reviews for the product. TATCHA also contains papaya enzymes and is gentle enough for everyday use. Rice is also one of my favourite ingredients in skincare, so someday when I'm ready to fork out $65 for a cleanser, this gorgeous little number will be mine.

If you're someone who really struggles with blackheads or congested skin and cannot find a solution, I would 100% recommend you try washing powders. They've really made a world of a difference for me and are honestly kind of fun to use, and who doesn't love that?

1 comment:

  1. I think washing powders would be a great option for guys! Helps to keep down oil production, which seems to be the main skincare thing that guys care about.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin